Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kill The Lights


I'm sure by now everyone knows about 'Earth Hour'. So, the next Earth Hour will be taking place this Saturday, 28th March 2009 at 2030 hours, local time.

I'm glad both Malaysia and Russia are involved in this activity, although this afternoon was my first time seeing the poster for Earth Hour 2009 in a metro. I think the Russian authorities should have done more publicity on this activity and done it much earlier. Less than a week to Earth Hour and only one poster? Maybe they have posters in the city, I don't know(I rarely go to the city centre now because I no longer have classes anywhere near there), but I have my reservations. After all, Russia only started acknowledging WWF in these recent years. But still, it's better than not joining, right? Russia's the biggest country on earth and I'm sure with its participation in this activity, the amount of energy saved in an hour will be significant.

That is if many people support it lah.

Anyway, in the Malaysian Earth Hour website, there's a list of landmarks which we can vote to go dark on that day. Too bad there's no option for Stadium Putra, Bukit Jalil. Farenheit's having their concert there on the same day, and starts only 30 minutes earlier than Earth Hour! I wonder what happens if Stadium Putra decides to turn off the lights for an hour on that day.

So, Earth Hour 2009. 28th March at 8:30PM local time. Are you on or off?

4 comments:

Sam said...

I'm all for off - so much in fact that I'm turning off all my lights a few hours in advance and heading out to the city to see what happens when their lights go off.

It'll be fun! :)

savante said...

Unfortunately I'll be at work at the time. Doubt the patients would appreciate the darkness :)

Cris said...

@sam: i have the same plan too, just that i have yet to find out which landmarks in moscow are turning off their lights.

@savante: how often do we get to experience a blackout in a hospital? besides, onli the lights will be gone, not life-supporting machines! tell them to loosen up!

savante said...

How I wish :) But the lights in the oncall rooms were off!