Thursday, March 12, 2009

Encephalopathy

OK, maybe that's too strong a word to use but I do think that I'm suffering from brain injury.

Literally that is.

(Tried 'hyperfunction of the brain' but there wasn't any matching result)

I've been thinking for a very long time now, about myself, relationships, my future, and also very minor things such as getting a new bedspread and getting a new hair colour.

I can't help but think about all sorts of relationships. Family ties, friendships, love. From young, my siblings and I have been taught to appreciate all our relatives(be it my uncles, my aunts, grandparents, cousins) because they're the closest to family after my parents and siblings. I'm glad we were brought up in such a way because many, if not most, of my friends don't share such a close relationship with their relatives. My cousins and I grew up together. We used to play masak-masak when we were young, and when we got older, we would go to the cinemas for movies, hang out in McD's(somehow, they aren't fans of Sri Murni or any other mamak of that sort), or just walk around in malls. Now that we're adults, most of us are scattered all around the world, some to pursue higher education, and some to work for a better living. We may not be able to see each other that often anymore now but thank God there are Facebook, MSN and also Skype to keep us connected.

Friendship used to be something I treasure very much because they're sweet like cotton candies but as we grow up, we're exposed to the ugly truths. Turns out, friendships aren't as innocent as I thought they were, and definitely not as sweet! When we were young, friends seem to be everything to us, because they're always there when we need them, they're trustworthy, reliable, and most importantly, they will never betray you. But then again these things only happen because we were kids. We were stupid.

It's so hard to open up to people these days without worrying that they'll use these information against you in the future. It's hard to trust people because they're hypocrites, two-faced. Tell them a secret at 10am and the whole world will know about it by 10:05am. So much for being 'friends'. And it's even harder to please everyone you know, because everyone thinks differently from you. Say you're friends with A and B, but A and B don't like one another. Imagine being in the same class with both of them five days a week. You're considered lucky if you are still sane by weekend because you'd to endure listening to all the bad-mouthing about one another the whole week. And you're really damn lucky because they didn't make you pick a side to stand. If they do, might as well ask them to put a bullet in your head.

The things we have to go through as adults. Sigh.

2 comments:

Sam said...

And that makes you a good friend - you don't pick sides when your friends are fighting. But yeah, I know what you mean when friends backstab you and pass on gossip - I've been there. Icky really.

But on the good side, you have a close relationship with your cousins! It's about the same with my family, except that we're all apart for now - uni and all that. But whenever the relatives get back, we're all sure to go out and rock the city till nightfall. ;)

Cris said...

=)