Friday, January 16, 2009

Mr/Ms Right

It's inevitable that many, if not most, people search for potential date partners online nowadays. It's not exactly bad but I don't think I'm a fan of it.

Maybe it's the way I was brought up by my family. To us, getting to know someone is to actually meet the person in person and see how things go. Like, you go to the grocery, sees a person that you're interested in, try to make small talks and see where it brings you to. It's definitely not going online, searching/filtering profiles and select a few potential date partners, chat online for several months before deciding to meet up. I think it's a plain waste of time if the person is not the one.

Besides, it's the Internet. So much can you trust another person whom you've never seen? You might be talking to a beast disguised as a harmless lamb. You might be flirting with a rapist who sweet-talks on MSN and then date-rapes you. Also, the inaccuracy of the information you get about a person online. A person can brag about having a six-pack or having busts of 37"-24"-38". A person can heavily photoshop his or her facial features before uploading it online. A person can also be sweet and nice online but is actually an abuser of sorts.

Not to forget the amount of people who are actually looking for ONSs instead of steady relationships.

But I do agree that there are people who manage to look for happiness through online profiling. After all, the Internet is the place where anything can happen.

Seeing people with happy relationships make me feel envious. It makes me feel like I'll never be loved by anyone else other than my family. It's not that I don't treasure the love of my family for me, it's just that at some point in my life, when my parents age and siblings have their own families to attend to, I too need to look for this special someone.

But it's gonna be an extremely tedious task, as I do not have an online profile(other than Facebook and Friendster, which both aren't exactly tools to search for date partners) and also I'm not good at meeting new people and making conversations.

I blame my previous relationship for making me long for love now. If I hadn't asked her to be my girlfriend, if I hadn't even started any relationship with anyone before, maybe I wouldn't be craving for love. After all, love is like a drug. Taste a bit of it and it'll leave you wanting more.

Nine months and nine days, that was how long our relationship lasted, and every day since the break-up, life just suck even more. The pain had long subsided, but the feeling of emptiness becomes greater each day.


Note: Mr Joey's back in KL! Welcome back Joey!

No comments: