Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And So We Went On A Date

Note: This entry is a continuation of this and this. Make sure you read them before proceeding.

So we went on a date on Monday. It's a date right, when two people go for dinner or watch a movie together or just hang out together? It felt kinda weird to me because the last time I went out with someone - just me and another person- was like, a year and a half ago? It felt even more weird when we dined at a cafe/bistro where the lights are dimly lit with soft jazz music. It was quite romantic, but the problem is that since that place is a very famous spot for people to loosen up after a hard day's work, it was kinda packed downstairs. We opted to dine upstairs where there were lesser people but since the stairs are in the middle of the cafe, we had to walk past quite a number of patrons to get to the stairs. Most of them stared at us as we walked past them, but we can't blame them really. How often do you see TWO GUYS walk into a cafe with dimly lit lights and jazz music playing on the stereo? Thank Lord they did not raise their eyebrows on us.

After we were brought to our table, we ordered food and started chatting. Everything's alright, food's alright(albeit a little costly for deep fried fish and chips), we chatted some more about random things, until a waiter came to us and ask if we would like to order more food because it'd be the last order. We politely said we're fine and went on chatting.

Suddenly, the already dim lights were dimmed some more. We were close to sticking our noses not more than two inches away from the plate to look at our food. It was only about a good five minutes later did they decide to turn up the lights. It was good that they turned the lights back on because if I'm left in the dark any longer, my nose would stick into the tartar sauce. What's not good about it was they only turned up the lights above the occupied tables. There were only three occupied tables on our floor, so basically the whole floor's dark except for the three tables, including mine. We're obviously at the center of attention because one of the other two tables was a family celebrating birthday of a family member and the other, a group of friends dining after work.

After dinner, we called up another friend and all three of us had ice-creams in McD. Yes, just ice-cream in McD. It's quite good actually to just hang out in McD instead of sight-seeing(we actually went around Bangsar and looked at beautiful houses before meeting up with the other friend) or catching a movie.

If it's a date, I'd give it 8/10.

Just that it's not one. Over dinner, he asked me many questions about his ex(he thinks I'm his ex's BFF). He said his ex asked him and some other friends(me included) out tomorrow, just that it's 2.20AM now and his ex has yet to text/call me and ask me out. He told me he asked his ex and another friend to join us for dinner but they couldn't make it, that's why it was only the two of us. He asked me to accompany him if they're to hang out tomorrow(not because he didn't want to go out alone with his ex, he really wants to! It's just that his ex has a boyfriend now and my friend, A finds that it'll be very awkward for them to go out by themselves). When I told him that his ex is very happy with his new found lover, A got emo and said he didn't want to see his ex anymore. On the way back to my place, he kept asking me to introduce some people to him, why does it seem so hard for him to look for someone he likes, and if he should set-up an online profile to get to know people.

I did my part dropping hints to him. I told him he should stop thinking of his ex as a lover but a friend in order for him to move on with life and meet up new people. I told him I'm not a love guru as I've experienced failed relationships. I told him I'm also single and I'm not seeing someone and there's no one in my uni which I have the slightest feeling for(which isn't very true, but I lied anyway to banish any insecurity in him if he were to ever consider me a potential boyfriend). I too asked him if there's anyone he can introduce me to.

As he became less inhibited emotionally, he actually asked me to visit him in Ireland in the future. He too asked me to work in Australia together with him after graduation. He also told me to help him look for and choose places to live when he goes to Ireland this September. He also asked me to accompany him shopping. And at some point he kept telling me that his car has very little fuel and it's only sufficient to bring us to his house, and that I could stay over because his sister is out of town(gasp!). But soon after that his emotions got a little inhibited and he suggested alternatives like going to a petrol station and fuel up, then drive back to his house and I can drive his car back to my house; and me taking a taxi home. But it's very hard to decipher his words, because now he'll be driving on the road and tease me by telling me he'll turn left when the road to my house is on the right or steering the car to the left and to the right(nothing to worry about as there wasn't any car around us) of the road, and the next moment he'll just get very serious.

Still, like I've already said, if this was a date, I'd give it an 8/10. It'd be good if he could get my hints and decide to do something about, but if he doesn't, I guess I'm OK with him being my friend. Better willingly than forced.

What about me taking the first move? To be true, I'm actually considering it, but I dare not pop the question so soon as we just started talking and texting each other and hanging out with each other alot again. I'm taking it slow and hopefully when the time is right - and that I'm still in the country -, I could ask him to be my boyfriend. Of course it's best if he accepts, but if he doesn't, at least we have the whole of spring away from each other, with me in Moscow and him in KL, thinking about how we're gonna face each other when we meet during my summer break as friends.

It looks like I already have a full plan, don't I?

No comments: