Saturday, June 28, 2008

Parenting Skills

I know I'm too young to be talking about parenting skills. After all, I'm still struggling in Med school and also a kid who hasn't grown sideburns, moustache and chest hairs. Yes, I'm an undergraduate student and yet I look like a high school student. Some of you think I should be happy, but I think otherwise. I'd wish for myself to be a masculine man, a hot guy, a hunk, a stud, whatever you find manly, but I'm categorized as what people call 'twink'. It sucks.

Anyway, let's get on with the main topic. Yes, parenting skills. So, you think you have good parenting skills? You think that every parent has good parenting skills? You think that parenting skills is inborn and not something a person should acquire? If your answer to ANY of the questions is 'yes', you have just failed to be a parent.

But why? Of all the topics one could discuss, why parenting skills? Why not the recent hike in fuel price? Why not typhoon 'Fengshen'? Why not Russia vs. Spain's match? Why parenting skills? WHY?

The answer is simple. Because modern parents suck to the core when it comes to parenting. I don't have to compare the parenting skills of our ancestors with the parenting skills of the "TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY SUPER MOMS AND DADS" , just compare the parenting skills of modern parents with their parents. You'll be shocked by the difference in levels of parenting skills.

Before one even start defending by giving lame excuses, allow me to talk first. Why do I think that modern parents are bad in their parenting skills? Here's an example:

Case:
Parents brought kids to coffee shop. Parents sat down and started chatting with friends. Friends brought kids too. Parents' and friends' kids started playing. Kids ran in and out of coffee shop. Parents didn't care. Kids made lots of noise. Parents still didn't care. Kids made MORE noise. Still, nothing happened. And the best part is when parents and their friends can make their children order food for them. The eldest of all is only about 6-7 years old. The rest were like 4 or probably 5. When food didn't arrive, parents made children go and remind hawkers about their orders.

See the problem there? Not only did the parents NOT stop the children run in and out of the coffee shop AND make noises, they totally ignored it as if the kids weren't theirs. And to make their children make food orders for them? Holy Christ! You as a parent not only did not do your part to get food for your children, you made them get food for you? What next? Are they gonna work to provide food for you? Some of you might say that this is a form of training for the kids to be independent, I say it's just an excuse to be lazy. Besides, being a 6-year-old, how often would people take your words for it? "Auntie, give me one Wan Tan Mee ah!" "Wan Tan Mee? Really ah?" "Yala auntie, really! Faster lo auntie I hungry liao!" If I were the hawker I would ask the child to bring me to his/her parent(s) to ask if they really asked their child to place an order. And the answer is 'no', I did not see anyone came to make sure the order was true. Result? The food didn't come la obviously. What did the hungry parents did? "Ah Girl ah Wan Tan Mee haven't come, go tell the person one more time!" I wasn't sure if the mee came, but I was certain that the parents are dumb. Think a bit la uncle and auntie, last time when you were 5 years old, you go and order Wan Tan Mee got people layan you or not? Sometimes maybe la, cause last time people also think less cause society less problems ma. Nowadays society like that, everything expensive, later your child order Wan Tan Mee then when people send the mee to your table then you say you didn't order Wan Tan Mee then the hawker ma rugi? Can give it to other customers, I know, but do you realise how much inconvenience it has caused to the hawker just because you were too lazy to go and order your own food? It's just like asking your underage children to buy cigarettes for you. Shop owner doesn't want to sell to your kids cause your kids are underages. In the end, you had to go and get it yourself but you've caused trouble for both your kid and the shop owner.

Of course I've witnessed other "parenting" acts of some parents, but I thought it'd be better for me to just enlighten everyone about what's becoming of modern parents and not speak too detail of it. But then again, it's just my point of view and I can't force anyone to agree with me.

Well, that's about it. I may be doubting many parents' parenting skills, but what about me? I could be the next parent who lets his children run around the dining table and scream hysterically as they run(play?).

Don't worry, I know I won't.

Anyway, it's getting late already and I really need some good rest. Woke up very early this morning to have breakfast(it's Wan Tan Mee, ironic!) and also went to the gym. Did some shoulder and chest presses, weight-lifting, running and cycling. I know I should be concentrating only on one part of the body at one time but I think it's OK to run and cycle every day. As for my upper body, I know I shouldn't be rushing, but I'm stubborn. Hadn't been exercising for the past 9 months in Russia, so when I went to the gym on Tuesday, I think I pulled a muscle. Was trying to complete the sets.

Avoided exercises for my upper limbs, so I did only exercises for my lower limbs for the next 2 days. I could still feel the joint pains of my upper limbs this evening but I decided to just go on with my upper limb exercises. After all, 2 days should be enough for my upper limbs to recover. Reduced the weights a little, worked a little slower, and nothing major happened. Thank Lord. My limbs are feeling kinda weak and numb right now due to the exercises, luckily it's weekend now so I can have my rest before I hit the gym again on Monday.

Or Tuesday.

I must get my protein drink soon. I could last longer when I run and could lift more weights after having my protein drinks before going to the gym. And it helps to provide the additional protein needed to build muscles(the amount of protein a body-builder needs in terms of grams(g) to consume is an equivalent of half of the person's body mass in pounds(lbs), e.g: I weight 140 lbs, so I need to consume at least 70g of protein each day if I want to build muscles. However, most of the time my daily protein intake is less than 70g, so I need protein drinks to provide the additional dietary protein in order to build muscles). Note that additional protein will not be stored in the body but will be excreted as waste products, so don't think that the more protein you consume, the faster your muscles grow. Besides, it'll be more effective for your protein drink to be absorbed by the body if you have it at least 30 mins before you begin your workout. You don't want to have it right before your workout and end up puking them out.

By providing protein that's inadequate in the diet and having it before you workout, the results of your workout will be more significant and growing muscles couldn't be any faster.

OMG I sound like some personal trainer/nutritionist/doctor. Be warned that the above statements are only my personal theories, be sure to consult a REAL nutritionist/doctor if you want to know how to grow muscles in a relatively short time. My theories are based on internet researches and my knowledge in Biochemistry only, even I myself isn't sure whether it's gonna work or not.

Darn, it's already 4:30AM, how much sleep can I get? I'm having Dim Sum for breakfast with my friends at 8:30AM!

Dim Sum here I come!

No comments: