Friday, April 20, 2007

Part I

2 months from now, it'll be the end of second semester of my Medical course. When I return from summer holidays, I and my fellow batchmates will be moving to permanent hostels as the current hostel we're staying in isn't permanent hostels. By the way, permanent hostels mean these hostels are owned by the University and that when we move in to them next year, we won't be able to switch hostels unless there are spaces. And since now the University has trouble placing us in permanent hostels as the spaces available aren't enough to support the whole batch of my year, so if I were to move in to, say, hostel A, then most probably I won't be able to move to hostel B, unless I wait for 1 year for the seniors to graduate. Even then I'll have to fight for places with my juniors.

Back to topic.

There are 2 hostels owned by my Unversity. The first hostel is the newest hostel which was built 1.5 years ago, so in terms of accomodation, internet service and distance from University, this hostel is the best, as the second hostel was kinda old and is quite far from University. But the second hostel has more spaces compared with the first hostel, which means that most of the students of my batch will be moving to the second hostel and only a hand full will be moving to the first hostel.

It took me quite some time to decide which hostel I want to move in. In terms of accomodation, the rooms in the first hostel are bigger and much nicer than the second hostel. In terms of transportation, the hostel is only 5 minutes walk away from the metro station and it's about 20 minutes walk away from the University. In terms of who will I be living with for the next couple of years, I'm fine living with my current roommates, so we planned to move together and stay together again.

So, me and my roommates discussed and finally decided to move in to the first hostel. Everything's much better in that hostel, and everyone else in my batch wants to move in too, if there are spaces available.

But the problem is, most of the students staying in to the first hostel are my groupmates, which means that if I really do move in to the first hostel next year, I'll be seeing them from day till night, whereas my other batchmates who live in the same hostel now will be staying in the second hostel and I won't be able to see them besides in lectures. It'll be very depressing as I'll be missing out lots of birthday celebrations, group cookings and going to each other's rooms to play games, discuss about homeworks and bitch about things.

But the most depressing thing is that I won't be able to see my boys anymore. The Indian will be moving to the second hostel as his gang is moving there. The Malay will be moving to the second hostel too since he's a government sponsored student and I bet our government won't spend more money to give their students better accomodation.

Sigh.



P/S: This is the first part. The second part will be out later because I'm very sleepy now and I want to sleep. Part 2 won't be short, so I thought I'd better sleep now so that I'll have the energy to write later.

No comments: